Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Cranberry Bread


Right after Thanksgiving last year, I came across fresh cranberries marked down to 25 cents a bag. Since I didn't grow up where cranberries are grown, I've never cooked much with the fresh ones, but the bag had some recipes on the back. I bought two bags to give them a try. When I baked a loaf of cranberry bread using the simple recipe, it turned out to be one of the best quick breads I've ever eaten. I thought I would share the recipe here for Thanksgiving. Enjoy - 


Cranberry-Nut Bread

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts


Mix together dry ingredients. Blend in orange juice, egg, and oil. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in a greased 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and let set 5 minutes before slicing.
__________________________________




1 comment: